The Alamance County Community YMCA has been serving our local community for over 60 years. Although the ACYMCA was established in 1943, WWII prevented the organization from obtaining funding and beginning its official service to the community. In 1954, W.M. Flowe was hired as the first professional director of the Y and under his leadership, construction began on the original Y building at 1346 South Main Street. In 1955, the Y doors opened with gym classes, softball and basketball leagues, a Health Club for men, informal educational classes, and community meetings.
Flash forward to 1998, when Walter Britt was hired as the fifth Executive Director. That year the Y raised $500,000 in a capital campaign drive to renovate the facilities and add new equipment. The ACYMCA continues to raise its standard of excellence both in the quality of its facilities, programs, and staff.
Please visit this link to read more about the rich and lengthy National Y history.